Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Artist Statement Project 1

-->
Artist Statement
Robert William Jablonski

This series of photos is based off the concept of intimate photography. For this, I used myself; something I have never done before. I’ve taken thousands of photographs, but have never included myself within them. I can count the number of self-portraits on both of my hands. I wanted to show myself to the viewer and open up my personal life for their disposal. It’s something so foreign to me, yet therapeutic in someway. The photographs are reoccurring moments in my life that are personal; closed off to the public eye and witness by only the closest people in my life.  Although the scenes were set up, I wanted to capture a candid and third person perspective as if you had just walked in on my personal time. I am unaware of your presence, going about my normal routine as if I were alone. 






 In our society, we speak in tongues. You talk to your best friend differently than you would to your boss. You talk differently to you significant other, in contrast to talking to a complete stranger. We conform to different atmospheres, people and relationships. I do it all the time in my life. At work, I need to present myself in a professional manner and talk with proper/polite grammar. At home, I talk to my roommates with my personal vernacular and feel free to say whatever I want. In these photos, I am myself. Although dialogue is excluded, the essence of personal alone time illustrates my vernacular.  These photos document the intimate moments of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment